Thursday, September 22, 2005

Gittin Ready from the Git Go ...

Counting down now to just a day before departure, it has dawned on us that we spent so much time actually preparing for our journey on paper that we haven't actually prepared at all. A horrid yellow sweat broke out on my forehead this evening as that revelation hit me like 175 MPH winds on a Galveston drilling platform. In fact, a fearsome storm has blown up here in the Atomic City as I sit writing this, a portent of things to come. I hope I'm wrong. But my mind takes little comfort in the fact that, on paper anyway, our trip will be highly successful, well executed and fun. Still, a day before departure seems like hardly enough time to prepare. We have laundry to do, supplies to gather, curses to spew ... ham to eat. And all of this has reminded me that, thanks to Texas' impending collision with Rita, gas prices are going to soar just as we pull out of the driveway and probably will continue to rise throughout the rest of our journey, only to subside once we return. But there's no shortage of gas here -- my colon has gone into overdrive now that I've realized there's a lot to do, but little time to do it. What time is it? No time to look back! See you on down the road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God help us all.. The roadways cluttered with cartoon characters like you two. [circus music here]

Spare us no detail in this Kerouac-ian quest. It's a good time for interviews; folks have stuff on their mind right now.

=M=

Anonymous said...

I think the picture is great.

Anonymous said...

cacti ... yes ... and they make you see and feel good too. It looks like you kids are gettin' close to Las Vegas NV. You know, Jim, the Chappel of Love is right up there on Las Vegas Blvd., just north of the Stratosphere. And, the stratosphere aint got nuttin on Angel's Landing at Zion, which I am sure you will gladly ascend -without any whining!